Junius Smith/Phillip Poundstone Scholarship
The Junius Smith/Phillip Poundstone Needs-based Scholarship may be awarded to a member of the senior class from one of the eight Montgomery County Public High Schools. The minimum amount of this cash grant, which is presented in May of each year, is $2,000.00. Two criteria govern selection: high academic achievement and demonstrated leadership and service in school, church and/or community. To be eligible for consideration, an applicant must:
- Possess a minimum of 3.25 grade point average (bases on a 4.0 scale) as of the end of the student’s junior year in high school, certified by a school administrator or counselor.
- Present a composite ACT score of 26, or a combination of SAT verbal and mathematical which correlate to an ACT score of 26, certified by the school administrator.
- Present an official school transcript, updated to include grades and activities recorded through the end of winter semester of the current academic year.
Complete an application form and letter/essay, to be accompanied by the documents listed and received by Tuesday, March 28th.
To remain eligible, the winner of this award must provide the Capital City Kiwanis Foundation evidence of high school graduation from a Montgomery County Public High School, evidence of acceptance and admission to any accredited four-year college or university within the United States before August 1 of the current year. A check in the amount of no less than $2,000.00 will be made payable jointly to the award winner and the college or university, for use in meeting the cost of tuition, books and room and board.
Applicants will be judged solely on evidence of academic and leadership achievement without regard to race, creed or sex. Every applicant will be acknowledged; finalist may be asked to appear for a personal interview with the selection committee.
Applications may be downloaded here. If you would like to receive a paper copy, please forward an email to email@example.com.
Smith-Poundstone List of Eligible Schools:
- Booker T. Washington Arts Magnet High School
- Brewbaker Technology Magnet High School
- George Washington Carver High School
- Jefferson Davis High School
- LAMP Magnet High School
- Park Crossing High School
- Robert E. Lee High School
- Sidney Lanier High School